The Jordan Bike Trail is a 730km, mixed-surface bike route that travels the length of Jordan from North to South, starting in Um Qais and ending in Aqaba. Roughly 60% of the route is paved, including most of the major climbs, while the remaining 40% follows mostly dirt roads. (South of Dhiban, 50% of the route is unpaved.)
The trail passes through the main historical and natural wonders of Jordan. It starts in the rolling hills, olive groves, and farms of the North; continues across the dramatic canyons of the Dead Sea region; and passes the remarkable landscapes of Dana, Petra, and Wadi Rum, before finishing by the Red Sea in Aqaba.
We’ve organized the trip into 12 single-day stages averaging 61km and 1600m of climbing per day—you can reasonably expect to complete the entire route (including travel and some rest to see sites) in two weeks with three weekends. Each stage ends in a location with both food and accommodation, so you can easily bike the route self-contained without carrying camping/cooking gear. Of course, this stage breakdown is just a suggested itinerary—you can certainly plan your trip for more/fewer days.
The structure of oversight of the bike trail has developed over time. Initially developed by the team at Experience Jordan Adventures as a private initiative starting in 2014. In 2018 US Aid generously provided funding for Experience Jordan Adventures to further develop the trail, the website and videos, and training of local services providers. Now a collaboration of private companies has got together to work together to promote and develop the trail. These companies can assist with tours on the trail, bike rental or other support.